Friday, February 15, 2019

India's Daughter - a personal account at Harvard with Leslee Udwin

Although wanting to reach at 3 PM for the documentary to be screened at 4 PM at Harvard Graduate School of Education, conscientiously and resource-tied for multiple submissions, I could leave only at 3.45 PM. It was like 'challenging' myself, to 1) brave going alone and 2) watching content that may leave me shaken up. Being sensitive, I've practiced refraining from watching disturbing content for many years now..

Entering the 'Askwith Hall', I observed many empty rows - it felt a bit chilling already. I picked the right back corner and sunk into the chair, wrapping into the jacked and ensuring there were people around for support, in case of any unexpected 'need'. Yes, literally! I saw people in two's mostly. The documentary started with a warning for anyone to walk out at any time. It began with the incident in Delhi on December 16, 2012. I remembered this was the time I used to work for the Planning Commission of India, and all political figures looked familiar. The story then transitioned towards the driver, accused Mukesh giving interview and his version and details of the incident and other culprits.

Throughout the documentary, Mukesh spoke without any resentment or guilt. The two lawyers, who were representing the criminals were also of the mindset that unmarried women should not be stepping out with a guy after a 'decent hour', dating is wrong and there are strong standards women are to abide by in order to be 'worshiped'. Both parents of Jyoti Singh, the young ambitious girl who met with the fateless incident maintain a calm disposition in the documentary like soldiers, bringing plenty of sorrow; when one hears the two sides, it becomes even more difficult to complain.

The culprits have a criminal background and come from extremely poor families where having one meal was a challenge. They had no interest in 'education', and societal norms like how women need to be treated was an unknown concept to them. The criminal physiologist in the film mentions how this act was a culmination of so many wrongs that went unnoticed, ignored or unpunished throughout the years, which in itself was a reflection of how societies function on a daily basis - with immense tolerance to bad behavior!

The statistics in the end are disheartening as they state rapes and crimes against women not only in India but all around the world: with global average of assault being as high as 1 in 5 women. There was dreadful silence in the hall as the documentary ends. The emcee wound herself on the stage slowly, still recovering as she asked very pertinent questions to Leslee, which were answered in great detail. I shall not be able to reveal everything on this blog since the movie was banned in India, and the reasons were shocking to know for the first time ever!

My takeaway was the appreciation for Leslee - on how she built the courage to make this spine-chilling documentary and stopped making films to solve the 'problem'. She cited 'how lack of education' was the main reason for this feeling of 'power' and 'control' men seek over women, which is irrespective of a man's social, economic, educational or marital status. She explained her findings of how a "mindset" at 6 years of age continued till one is 60; and why right education in the formative years must focus on empathy, human values and developing social skills. The last question of the evening was by an Indian man, who spent 3 years in the US - he confessed he still did not understand 'consent'. To this Leslee replied that just asking this question was a good start, of some morals and perhaps good upbringing! As an Indian, I wished many of my Indian colleagues, past dates and friends did this loving, harmless, retrospective and mindful soul-searching with a positive and action-oriented intent.

As I booked my cab, I walked out towards the exit, following an elderly gentleman with a walking stick. As he saw me rushing, he opened the door and said 'First you miss'. I could not hold back my tears anymore. As my cab arrived - the driver greeted me with - How are you doing today? I nodded 'Okay', and was dropped by the driver at the destination, ensuring it was the 'exact' spot in the dark lonely lane. I know the driver was raised well too :)         

1 comment:

  1. I m moved too as I witnessed everything n keep watching this "Superior Race" attitude in all my male friends n colleagues even at this ripe age of 60

    ReplyDelete